Saturday, November 4, 2023

Refreshing your memories.

Was it really two and a half years ago that I first floated the idea of a micro layout called Nogg? At least that long. Two and a half years ago was the last time I posted here before Friday. The project stalled when I needed to order new buffers for my wife and I’s Slaters wagon projects. This was Covid time and the transatlantic mail service was slow and bad. (Now it’s just bad) I found my way into other projects in different scales.
The Nogg concept was first outlined in June 2020, and it has stuck with me ever since. So it must be a good idea.
That first sketch from 2020

The 4mm scale mock up.
That was where it stopped. Covid struck and the world changed. The project went on the back burner and other things came to the fore. Which was quite fortuitous in a way. My current 16mm scale 2’ gauge layout has enabled me to develop my skills and do things I could only dream of a few years ago. So, after attending a recent train show and being fired up with enthusiasm. I paid a quick visit to the concept again.
It still looks good
The board that this is laid on is 20” x 30”. For O scale standard gauge that’s a very small area indeed. Just a smidgeon over the four square feet micro layout limit. If I could slice an inch off the depth to 19” then it would qualify as a micro layout. 
The turnout hidden under the length of flex track is an old Atlas product, which has a sharp radius suitable for an industrial system, and you can just squeeze three Slaters open wagons in that front siding.
The concept still intrigues me, and revisiting it just now, makes me realize it’s still a good idea.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I’m going to build me a station (or a garden shed)

Right now, the temptation is getting a bit too much to resist. Wingham Canterbury Road calls too strongly. These stills from the Pathé newsr...