Friday, November 3, 2023

Happy National Model Railroad Month

Yes, here in the US of A, the National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) took it upon themselves to declare November as “National Model Railroad Month”. Something I didn’t find out about until yesterday from a fellow modeller. Apparently it’s been going on since 2014. Which says a lot about the NMRA’s efforts to publicize it.
I vaguely remember taking part in a “take a model train to work day” a good few years ago, and being resoundingly ridiculed by some colleagues at work. So I have mixed feelings about it. I think most of the time we’re preaching to the converted, or shouting into a vacuum, (or both at the same time). 
I publish The Micro Model Railway Dispatch free e-zine, co-host The Micro Model Railroad Cartel podcast, and blog incessantly about any layout project I’m working on. I’m also taking a layout to the Granite City Train Show in St. Cloud, MN this month. So I think I do more than my fair share to publicize the hobby. 
Having recently returned from exhibiting at a local train show. I find myself full of enthusiasm and needing to do something. There’s a new project in 7/8ths inch to the foot scale on the horizon. But there’s a lot of scratch building required for that, and although I have a great concept for that scheme I don’t have a trackplan yet, and my unfamiliarity with such a huge scale causes me to doubt myself at times. This might be a longer term project.
So, just for fun the other day I pulled out one of my half-finished O scale Slaters Wagon kits. And finished it. Unbeknownst to me this was on November 1st. The first day of National Model Railroad Month. 
Co-incidence?
Co-incidence? Who knows?
Working the idea that any effort to publicize the hobby needs to be global. I thing we need to consider November as National Model Railway month as well. I have another four or five Slaters kits to finish plus some track from previously aborted projects. Perhaps I should take this opportunity to work on that longed-for O scale project.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I’m going to build me a station (or a garden shed)

Right now, the temptation is getting a bit too much to resist. Wingham Canterbury Road calls too strongly. These stills from the Pathé newsr...